If you haven't noticed, we're in spring! Spring in the Bay Area is so predictably unpredictable. One day it's hot and sunny and the next its drab and windy. It can be hard to gauge what to wear and how to feel sometimes since our moods are so connected to the weather.
One thing is for sure, your body's wisdom knows that these present moments are about renewal. Renewing the body with new thoughts and ideas and fresh, lighter foods.
Spring vegetables and fruits will get your body to gently purge and cleanse of fat build-up and toxins from heavy foods like sugars, starches, animal products and comfort foods. If you’ve been naturally experiencing wanting to be physically active and eat fresher, lighter foods than you’re experiencing your body follow its natural circadian rhythms to be in and eat within the spring season.
While we head into spring it’s best to avoid refined grains, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and processed foods and to add antioxidant-rich plant foods that are supportive to the liver and digestive system.
Add these to your spring repertoire:
1. Dandelion greens and root are rich in minerals and antioxidants, which support cleansing of the digestive tract and the liver. The bitter quality of dandelion greens increases the production of bile, which breaks down fats, aids in digestion and eliminates toxins from the liver. Add dandelion greens to your arugula salad or sip on dandelion root tea throughout the day.
2. Artichokes also stimulate bile to protect the liver and also purify the blood. Artichokes are mildly diuretic, meaning that any toxins that the liver breaks down will most certainly get flushed out properly.
3. Asparagus contains a powerful antioxidant called glutathione, well known for its detoxifying properties. Like artichokes, it also is a diuretic, assisting in fully removing toxins from your body. Asparagus contains inulin – a prebiotic that helps support the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut.
4. Radishes aid in bile production, cleanse the liver, prevent constipation, offer sinus congestion relief (peace out seasonal allergies!) and even reduce fat deposits in the body.
5. Grapefruit juice and its pith flush out toxins by helping to remove waste from the colon. Grapefruits strengthen immunity and speed up the cleansing process to repair any damage done from poor foods, drinks and pollution. They also contain compounds that can help prevent fatty liver disease, a condition caused by heavy drinking, excess weight, and diabetes.
It is the perfect time to give your organs a break and honor it with high vibrational nutrient rich plants and lean protein to ease your nervous system and adrenals.
It’s also best to reduce exposure to pollution and heaters and dust your homes, bring in new air-loving plants, and open the windows for natural air and sunshine. Look here for more toxin-busting vegetables.