You can use pickled ginger to train the body to secrete stomach acid on its own rather than having to rely on hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) supplements. Your body can become reliant on HCL supplements if used for too long. Having adequate stomach acid helps to destroy foreign pathogens and parasites and helps to protect the system. In Japanese culture, pickled ginger is served alongside raw fish for the sole purpose of protecting the body from pathogens or parasites the raw fish may carry. Also, because it's delicious.
I've become a huge pickled ginger enthusiast and new batch weekly. Here's the how-to:
- 1 full ginger root peeled or shredded. You can use a vegetable peeler if you want a traditional look or you can use a cheese grater.
- Juice of one full organic lemon.
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt.
- Mix together and put in a jar or a small bowl with a lid. Let it "pickle" overnight and take 1/2-1 teaspoon before big meals daily for 2-4 weeks.
More approaches to support stomach acid:
- First thing in the AM, drinking 16 oz. of warm or room temperature water with squeezed juice from half of a lemon or with 2 teaspoons of raw organic apple cider vinegar will stimulate digestion.
- Chew your food! Masticating increases saliva and enzyme flow, which helps breaks down food into smaller particles. Chewing your food also sends out signals to the digestive tract, communicating what is about to happen.
- Lessen the amount of coffee, tea, tobacco, sugar, alcohol, fried foods and spicy hot peppers and hot sauce - these guys all deplete stomach acid and thin the gut lining, causing inflammation and pain.
- Increase more antioxidant rich food. Brightly colored red, green, orange, and yellow vegetables along with the algae spirulina and chlorella.
- Manage your stress by using techniques such as breathing exercises, nourishing yoga flow, or meditation.
- Let your body digest. Avoid eating meals within 2 hours of bedtime. Digestion becomes active around 10pom and the livers' prime time for detoxification is 11pm-1am. Try going to bed before 10pm to allow these systems to work optimally.
References: "How to Balance Stomach Acid and Improve Acne and Rosacea," Christa Orecchio from The Whole Journey.